Airline Service/Private Airports
Six major airports in The Bahamas, including Lynden Pindling International Airport (Nassau) and the Grand Bahama International Airport (Freeport) are served by various international airlines allowing direct flights to and from key destinations in Europe, North and South America and the Caribbean, with connections around the globe.
The international airport in Nassau has two runways of 8,000 and 11,000 feet while the international facility in Freeport has an 11,000 foot runway. Both have lighted runways that allow flying at night. All other airports require you to arrive and depart between sunrise and sunset.
Nassau has two highly rated private airport facilities — Odyssey Aviation and Executive Flight Service – for private and commercial aircraft. They offer a wide array of amenities for pilots, crew and passengers, including private lounges and conference rooms, satellite TV and sleep rooms, and 24-hour on-site security. Bahamas Customs and Immigration services are also available, 24 hours a day. There are also private airports in many of the islands.
Scheduled domestic services by the government owned airline, Bahamasair, along with a number of other scheduled and charter carriers link the island chain with services to and from Acklins Island, Cat Island, Crooked Island, Long Island, Grand Bahama, Great Exuma, Eleuthera, Inagua, Great Abaco, Mayaguana, North Eleuthera, and New Providence.
Authorised Ports of Entry
While vessels may clear customs and immigration at some other “sufferance” ports, the following is a list of authorised ports of entry within The Bahamas:
- Abaco – Green Turtle Cay, Walker’s Cay, Marsh Harbour, Spanish Cay, Treasure Cay
- Andros – Fresh Creek, Congo Town, San Andros
- Bimini – Alice Town, South Bimini
- Berry Islands – Chubb Cay, Great Harbour Cay
- Cat Island – Bennett’s Harbour, New Bight
- Eleuthera – Rock Sound, Governor’s Harbour, Cape Eleuthera, North Eleuthera Harbour Island
- Exuma – George Town, Moss Town
- San Salvador – Cockburn Town
- Grand Bahama – Freeport, West End, Lucaya Beach Marina, King’s Inn Marina
- Inagua – Matthew Town
- New Providence – Prince George Wharf